PD Pro Digital Painter
and Project Dogwaffle:
10th Planet - Celebrating a Discovery
Chase Art Contest
an art contest to celebrate the discovery of a 10th planet
in our solar system
|Your mission, should you
accept it, is
simple: draw a picture of what you think this strange
new world might
look like. Use the free version of Project
1.2, or whichever
version you have, and make good use of the Spherize
tool. Paint the
surface map, cloud maps, put them together, drop shadpws
from clouds to
the ground, and then spherize it all. Add background
stars, nebulae and
Here are some tutorials which might be helpful for space art creation:
we've all been inspired by the
discovery of the 10th planet. It's time to
roll up your
sleeves and get busy dreaming and painting. Imagine
the planet looks like, and take your best shot. Use
version, with the Spherize tool.
- paint the flat surface in a rectangle of 1024x1024 or higher resolution.
- add polar caps, craters, mountain peaks with snow caps,...
- add a layer of clouds, storms, hurricanes, lightning...
- add shadow drops from the clouds to the surface
- put it all together, Spherize it, load as brush with solid sphere and transparent background
- stomp it over a neat space background sky of nebulae, stars, milkyway, .... must also be made in Dogwaffle. No photo compositions
- add an atmospheric glow, aurora borealis and australis, meteors impacts, shooting stars, comets, ....
- alien outpost station area 51....?
- You may use 3D renderings to compose with the Dogwaffle scene. For example for orbital spaceships, rockets, satellites, ...
- Deadline: starts after Siggraph, August 8, ends September 30
- Prizes: TBD. We'll look for donations from 2D, 3D and hardware.
- Formats: TBD, probably 1024x768 Jpeg best quality.
- When and Where to Submit Your Artwork:
We're still working on the details. Don't start submitting until mid September. You may however want to post on the 3dcommune.com image galleries (2D graphics section) to create awareness, or on the Yahoogroups.com/group/dogwaffle forum forum.
- Still Images - two categories: realistic vs. fantasy/funny (alien worlds, orbital junk,...)
Members of families with over 20 hours of in-orbit or micro-gravity flight experience are excluded ....er, no, particularly welcome!
Ready.... set..... paint!
[ Project Dogwaffle ] [ Klipsi ] [ UltimateChase ] [ Cyclone-tours ]
the Art Contest with a Twist: (Spring 2005)
The Tornado Chase Art Contest
Tornado season is here. Time to put your dramatic painting or animation skills together. Create a stormy sky. Make a Tornado twist. Add lightning, hail, rain... use compositions with photos or 3D animation. New: use your own preferred software. We encourage you to try any version of Project Dogwaffle including the free v1.2 but if you have another paint program you feel more comfortable with don't let that stop you. You can also use a mix of 3D software or just paint by hand on paper or other media, start from a photograph (as long as you own copyrights to it), etc... Let's Twist!
original photo by Klipsi, animation and special fx made in PD Pro
1. choice of PD Pro 3 (download) or two tutorial collections
2. choice of one Upgrade to PD Pro 3 from v2 or one of the tutorial collections
3. choice of Project Dogwaffle 2 or a tutorial collection
Planning a vacation on Mars? Don't think you can afford the round trip? check Univelt
Need some inspiration before creating your own artwork?
Read Dan Ritchie's new novel here: Silver Squirrel