new Media Manager
(aka Media-pedia) lets you save your current brush
settings for later use, complete with a brushstroke preview.
- The new Paintsmear mode
is somewhat like painting with oil
paints that don't like to mix very well. It has a highly 'fluid' or
- Custom brushes can now react to brush dynamics to control
rotation, scale, and
color. See some examples in this tutorial
- The powerful brush manager
now replaces the old Store brush
and Store animbrush features. With the new brush manager, you can
scale and rotate a brush or animated brush as well as alter its color
properties. You can also use the brush manager to build an
animated brush, one frame at a time and preview it as a filmstrip.
- BrushFX was
recently released as an upgrade for version
1.6. It has now been improved to function more seamlessly.
With it, you can generate stars and all sorts of natural phenomenon.
- The Patterns plugin
is a one-click solution for loading
seamless textures for flood fill operations, as well as a quick paper
- You can now use a custom brush to define a paper texture.
- 2.0 now supports fully
integrated animation support.
Do things like crop, rotate and scale an animation. Merge with a
swap image for every frame of an animation to create vignettes
and other effects.
- Apply a vast number of effects to an animation using the new and improved Timeline
editor. Create keyframes to control an
effect over time, and use the new context sensitive tool to control
your effect more intuitively.
- Animated brushes can now be scaled, rotated and color
corrected on the fly, and can also be tweeked to your liking with the
- Animated brushes
feature some new tricks such as reversing
direction, and returning to the start each time you draw.
- Playback speed and
accuracy has been improved.
- Loading and saving of AVI
files was recently introduced as
an upgrade and has now been integrated and improved.
- While previous versions offered 2 layers (Main buffer
& Swap buffer) of mixing in additive, subtractative, multiply,
divide, screen , around grey, and tracing paper
modes, version 2 adds support for unlimited layers. Multiple layers are
supported along with a new layered
layers will be along in a future version, The layer system now supports
any number of layers in the following mixing modes:
Additive, subtractive, multiply, divide, screen, around grey, and
tracing paper. The "Default" mode is the same as multiply.
- The workflow has been greatly improved with dynamic panning
and zooming within an image.
- You can now start drawing on an area outside of your buffer.
the text tool
- It is now simpler to create
good looking text with the new
text tool. You have the choice of plain text or text filled with
the settings from the gradient panel, and text can even be applied to
the alpha channel.
- Text can now be right, left, or center aligned within a
box, as well as centered horizontally
or vertically on screen.
- A custom brush can now be
created from text, so you can
stamp it down where you like, and make use of the brush post process
effects like a drop shadow or emboss effect.
- A new image
browser lets you see thumbnails of your images
before you load them.
- There are several new ways to adjust color in your image
with this release, with the new tint
filter and additive color
- The enhanced Filmgrain
filter from a recent update has been
included, as well as new filters Sepia
and Checkers have
- The Apply paper filter
now takes advantage of new features
to the paper system, such as paper scaling.
- Increased max undo memory
- A new alpha option lets you select Shadow, Midtones, and
Highlight areas of an image for further manipulation.
- A new keyboard shortcut
',' (comma) lets you temporarily
select the 'eyedropper'
tool. When you let go, you'll get
your previous tool back.
- A new plugin lets you specify and enable a drawing grid.
- Drag & Drop of
files to the Dogwaffle is now possible.
- Tablet support is
improved with the ability to use the
secondary color with the stylus'
|Detailed List of
Changes made for v2.0
- Creating a new animation through plugins strictly frees
previous animation instead of attempting to reuse it's ram pool.
- Creating an animation with plugins opens the scrub bar
- Merging layers now merges every frame, if an animation
- Improvements to brush fx plugin. Now maintains brush
- Added shortcuts to go to first frame of animbrush and
reverse direction. > and <
- Added ability to play animbrushes backwards and start on
frame 0 on mouse downs.
- Added plugin command to refresh brush thumbnail imagery.
- Replaced "store Animated brush" plugin with brush manager.
(Store brush and Store AnimatedBrush are still available as plugins)
- Added plugin commands for reading and writing size, step,
- Completed Next version of the animation editor timeline
- Added a menu item for the timeline
- Increased maximum undo memory.
- Rearranged and renamed brush settings 'build' tab to
- Added icons for BrushFX, Patterns, Brush keyer and brush
manager on the brush options panel.
- Added button to allow brush transforms.
- Brush transforms makes custom brushes behave pretty much
like regular brushes in that they support pressure, rotation and random
- Added tab to color adjustment for Multiply, Additive.
- Added the tint filter.
- Added menu items for mirage, mosaic, cellular.
- Added reset button to timeline. Added value labels.
- Added tint filter to timeline.
- Added Alpha select -> shadow, mid tones, lights.
- Swapped 'alt' and 'shift' functions for lasso selection to
make it more consistent (with multiple selection concept). Shift is
generally used for multiple selection, and a lot of people think of the
alpha as a selection these days.
- Made some other changes to make the PS users happy.
- Antialiasing now defaults to medium instead of off.
- startup tool now defaults to an airbrush.
- "," now temporarily brings up the turkey baster. the
original tool is restored on key up.
- Fixed a bug in the turkey baster that kept it from
returning the correct color sometimes.
- Alpha nudge (now CTRL - arrow keys) now supports key repeat.
- Insured that animation playback is stopped if frames are
accessed either internally or through the plugin interface, fixing
problems with frames becoming corrupted.
- Creating a brush on the Custom tab of the brush options
panel no longer resets the drawing mode.
- fixes to Smear mode with custom brushes as well as speed
- Setting the panto offset would end when you let up the alt
key instead of the mouse button.
- Fixed issues with panto when zoomed.
- Mouse down in smear mode while zoomed gave the wrong
- Filling with 'e' was broken when zoomed.
- Overhauled zoom system.
- The buffer can now be zoomed and scrolled independently of
the buffer window size.CTRL+ALT now pans the buffer.
- CTRL+ALT+RMB now zooms the buffer independent of the window.
- Can also use CTRL+SHIFT.
- Buffer window no longer zooms larger than the screen.
- 'n' now centers the area under the mouse.
- Added menu items for zoom 100%, center image, zoom to fit.
- It was possible for the animation panels scrollbar to loose
its max frame.
- Updated the zoom panel with pan/zoom/1 to 1/fit.
- Fixed animated brushes getting smeared all over when double
clicking onthe file to open. What a weird bug.
- More accurate animation playback timing is possible if a
high precision timing device is available.
- Floodfill now respects alpha. You can't fill outside of an
alpha selection. warping modes now work correctly.
- Added ability to play and stop animation from the plugin
- Added paint smear mode.
- Added New paint presets to take advantage of it.
- Reorganized preset with new menus for pastels and tempera.
- Implemented random Hue/Sat/Value for full color custom
brushes. (also enabled by custom brush transforms)
- Fixed a number of display issues including flashing on
certain panels and corruption on the brush build panel.
- Updated about box and "Dogwaffle on the Web."
- Addressed issues with camera zoom on wireframe designer.
- Added the following filters to the timeline:
- HSV, 8bit ordered/random, 1bit ordered/random, power curve,
light diffusion, motion blur, zoom blur, Mystic Vision, sharpen,
Maximize, minimize, MinMax, MaxMin, Jitter, Digital Photo Enhance,
Mosaic, Slate, reduce flicker, Video lines, Apply paper, wireframe
designer, Globe, mirage, Ghost, all the combine modes, Color key,
Displace, cloaking displace, pool displace,
- animated perlin noise, etc.
- Thumbnail in timeline now features context sensitive
controls for things like 3d rotation or picking colors.
- Thumbnail in timeline is now antialiased.
- Added Plugin commands to grab frames without going to and
- New plugin command to get and set paper and bump textures.
- Organized filter list on timeline into categories.
- Added Patterns plugin with option of loading paper textures.
- Paper texture controls are now on a regular panel.
- Paper scale is now implemented.
- You can now make a paper texture from a custom brush.
- 'Apply paper' now opens the paper texture panel.(* I
imagine people didn't know they could dynamically change paper
attributes while using this tool. You can also scale the paper and load
them with the patterns tool and they will be automatically updated.)
- Apply paper was dropping a pixel, causing a slight seam.
- Minor bug fix. Current paper selection is cleared when
papers are created by plugins.
- Paper effect with custom brushes was only 1/2 intensity.
Added zoom related buttons to toolset. (pan, zoom, fit, stretch)
- Made 'info display' a dedicated panel.
- Made the color selectors on the tool panel position
reletive, to help with machines that are running with an odd dpi
- Updated, pretty new About box.
- Made sure "Onion skin" was showing up along with paper,
layer mixing, swap/main status, etc. in the program title bar.
- Internal brushes now open on the 'Internal brushes' panel.
- Drag&Drop of files is now implemented.
- Fixed a potential crash when rotating a buffer (load zoom
panel into memory on startup (might crash if zoom panel not open
because it reset the zoom))
- Removed an old hack from the gradient panel that allowed a
gradient to be saved into a binary file. gave it a menu item in the
mixer popup menu.
- Made sure brush thumbnail on the tool panel was showing the
antialiased tool if it was turned on.
- Made it so it's only possible to input numbers on the
buffer size panels input controls.
- Made the Key size plugins increase or decrease the size of
the brush as well as the key. (New areas are filled with the current
secondary color) (the Key size plugins basically apply a morphological
process to the brushes key, causing it to grow or shrink. The result
is, you get a nice outline of your brush in the brushes key color. Very
useful for text)
- Added "Save avi..."
- Fixed spelling of turbulence on timeline.
- Made timeline scalable.
- Replaced the load sequence requester with one that allows
network drives, etc. Make sizable.
- Rubber band mode of curve tool was refreshing the buffer
thumbnail - very aggressively.
- Creating an animation through plugins now sets the
animation scrub bar max value to total frames. (fixes issue with
- Added a plugin command to open the scrub bar.
- The particle system is a bit faster (significantly faster
in certain cases).
- Improved animation playback speed.
- Realtime filters are overall a bit faster.
- Plugins now support all prefs visual settings. (Colors,
- the BrushFX plugin now selects a setting file at startup to
avoid the 'no setting file selected' error.
- Dogwaffle now supports the notion of a temp directory for
use by functions that require large amounts of storage.
- Added 'Temp Directory' to memory options in prefs.
- Rotating a buffer turned off the marching ants.
- Rotating, Resampling and cropping a buffer now supports
multiple layers and animations.
- Fixed a bug that might have caused freeing an animation and
creating a new one to crash (and was keeping resampling of animations
from working). (scrub bar now ignores events if animation has no frames)
- Plugins with panels are now explicitly closed when the
- Swap mixing is now selected by the layer mode for the
current layer on the layer panel. Turning on swap mixing bypasses
regular layer mixing.
- Pressure options have been moved to main tab and tablet tab
has been eliminated.Custom brush mode selector has been moved to custom
- Added sepia plugin.
- Added icon browser
- Added display settings panel with grid, artist guides and
- Added media menu item to convert current internal brush
image to a custom brush.