|This is a
free update for users of 8.0 - Here's what's new in
PD Pro 8.1:
YouTube video: New
Features in PD Pro 8.1 (part1)
Scroll down for more detailed info.
Showcase: Landscape with Particle brushes
Painted by Attila Kohl
with particle and foliage brushes
- The quicker color picker
(activated by pressing the space bar) now has a
quick media bin where you can quickly
store a couple of medias for rapidly switching
back and forth.
- There's a new tool to alter (recalibrate)
the pressure to your comfort level when
using a stylus device (graphic tablet) such as a
No more sore wrists because of having to press
too hard. No more frustration because of having
it be too sensitive. Easily re-calibrate the
sensitivity right inside the application,
anytime you want to change it. click
here to view a YouTube video about this
- The toolbar now operates in a
sidebar instead of a floating panel by
default. You can still also float it at
any time. The toolbar now defaults to
single column if it fits and automatically
adjusts to double-column otherwise (such as when
you have a very low resolution screen).
- The layers panel is now sizable on the
- There is a New noise removal tool.
The 'Iterative median' filter has been
repurposed from the convolution menu into a full
iterative noise-reduction filter, and now lives
in the noise menu. This may be great for camera pictures
in low lighting or high film ASA setting, and
other scenarios. Note: 'iterative median' was
originaly an academic 'proof of concept' to
prove that an iterative median isn't all that
beneficial. A threshold box/tent filter is
now employed by default, which is great at
removing low amplitude noise.
- Change to color picker (turkey baster)
The turkey baster (quick color picker)
'comma' shortcut (,) may have been broken
by utilities that disable a touch device when
typing (to keep the cursor from jumping around.
This should be fixed now. In any event, this seems
to be a common enough situation on laptops that
the tool has been re-thought. The shortcut has
been changed so that it now activates the Turkey
Baster tool, and you will get your original tool
back once you have picked your color. Formerly,
the original tool was restored when you let up on
the comma (,) key.
- Duotone is threaded for more speed.
- Color Replacer is threaded.
- Alpha/Select by/color key is rewritten
and threaded for dramatic speed improvent.
Also, functions that work with an alpha are
improved, such as gaussian blur alpha.
- Tooltips added to foliage
and rules library settings.
- Particle panel formatting adjusted for
- The button for paper textures on the curve
tools context strip has been removed due
to being redundant. The button is featured
on the natural tool constrip, which is always
coupled with the curve tool when active.
- The linear alpha fader tool (renamed
"selection fader") has been
re-thought. There's a new visualization
for the tool, and a link from the selection
- "Focus click zones" There are
windows and controls that can steal keyboard or
mouse focus from the main window and prevent it
from receiving mouse and keyboard events.
Normally you might click on the main 'canvas'
window or just outside of it to restore
focus. This has the disadvantage of
creating a new undo point. There are also other
areas where you can click to restore focus to
the main window, and several have been added:
- The context strip, anywhere outside of
a tool area.
- The sidebar, anywhere under the last tab.
- The toolbar, anywhere under the lowest icon.
- The following plugins have been internalized:
- Seamless is internalized, but also
there's now a menu item to it from both the
image menu and the brush menu so you don't
have to first create a brush if you want just
the main image to be seamless.
- Transform alpha is rewritten and
- Photographic/Polarize, now renamed "Blue
enhance" to better describe what it
- Max sharpen, renamed Art sharpen.
- Oilify. New options.
- High pass filter.
- Convolution kernel + new presets.
- Cross contour
- Graphics pen (!)
- Weave. Rewritten/multithreaded,
- Woodcut. New option.
- Mirror. converted from lua
- Numeric alpha selection.
- Globe. Faster algorithm.
Threaded. Tweaks added. realtimed.
- Starfield. More
interactive. Somewhat threaded.
- Cold lava. More interactive.
- ShiftRGB in video menu.
Converted from lua script.
- Mirrage. Faster algorithm.
- Video/television. Converted
- Sepia +tweaks added. Threaded,
- NTSC legalize.
- Pal legalize.
- Day for night
- Continued to clean up redundant plugins
that have been replaced with internal versions,
resuling in slightly smaller installer. but more
importantly, a cleaner plugin folder with less
clutter when browsing. It may also install
a little faster (we suspect that virus scanner
software slows down installation to scan .exe
files, so fewer .exe files means faster install)
- Decided to remove several plugins,
though not internalized, because they may may be
either outdated, redundant, or just not very
- Clock has generally been replaced by
clock2. Also, Halloween clock has been
removed since it was pretty much just a gag.
- It seemed silly to have 2 versions of the
mod player plugin with different shaped
windows so we kept just the 'round' one.
- Also, "thread_test" was a nice
multithreading test, but it had nothing to do
with the paint program or the plugin
interface, and only threaded on 2 threads, so
it's been removed. However the
lines_test remains as a nice plugin to test
- Select by color key did not refresh its
preview when reopened after an initial
- The browser may have crashed if the
last browsed folder is no longer available when
reopened, such as with a removable device.
- The gradient editor is now centered
- If clicking on the timeline button from the
animation control panel, when displayed on the
bottom instead of top, the timeline would open
- Fixed small typo on "undo to animation"
- Made several minor GUI corrections such as the
dropdown list on the "Select by color key" panel
being a combo box style instead of a dropdown